I discovered this recipe on the wonderful Happy Pear website. I couldn't resist giving it a try when I saw the pics. Ideally I'd have had a square cake tin and made it into slices like flapjacks but this was all I had to hand so I made it into a round cake. Still tasted gorgeous!
- 1.5 cups (150g) whole oats – gluten free
- ½ cup (60g) raw whole almonds
- 1 cup (180g) Medjool dates pitted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 – 3 tbsp water
- 60g (1/4 cup) 100% no oil added almond butter
- 135g (3/4 cup) Medjool dates pitted
- 80ml (1/3 cup) unsweetened almond milk
- 100g dark dairy free chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil (14g)
- Blend dates for the base in a food processor with a couple of tablespoons of water to form a thick paste.
- Remove and process almonds and oats to coarse crumb. Add back in date paste with vanilla extract and process until the mixture is nicely combined. Add in water and process until the mix comes together in a clump.
- Place in a non stick or lined 8 inch square baking tray. Spread out evenly using your hands.
- For the centre blend together dates, almond butter and almond milk. Spread over the base and place in the fridge to harden a little for about 30 minutes before you top with the final layer.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil together. Stir well to ensure it’s melted and combined before pouring over the base layers quickly spreading and returning to the fridge to set for an hour before serving. Allow to soften a little at room temperature before slicing to avoid cracks in the chocolate.