The two main ingredients of store-bought Nutella are white sugar and palm oil (disguised as vegetable oil). Palm oil is not only bad for your health, but palm oil plantations are currently the leading cause of rainforest destruction in Malaysia and Indonesia. Plus: the benefits of making your own are more cacao (full of antioxidants) and hazelnuts (rich in vit E, magnesium, potassium and calcium).
- 1 & 1/2 cups of hazelnuts (toasted and peeled)
- 1/3 raw cacao powder (or organic cocoa powder)
- 2/3 cup of maple syrup
- 2 tbsp of coconut or hazelnut oil (the oil is used to make it a bit more spreadable, if you don't have coconut or hazelnut you could use another good quality cold pressed oil like grapeseed)
- pinch of salt
- Toast the hazelnuts for around 10-15mins in an oven at 175c, the skin should be flaking off them.
- Once cooled a little you have to remove the skins, you can achieve this by rubbing them together in your hands and the skin should just fall off.
- Place the hazelnuts in a food processor and blend, then add the oil, maple syrup, salt and cacao.
- Blend together until a smooth texture. You can add more oil if it's a little dry. It should be spreadable.