I had tried other raw brownies before but found them a little heavy, so I began thinking about alternatives. Exhausted from a long night of sleep interruptions and in need of a treat, I searched our cabinets and found hazelnuts, which seemed a good start. With baby under one arm, I started throwing stuff into the blender, and these brownies are what came out! I'm pretty pleased with them and love how they work with the dehydrated oranges, too. Hazelnuts and cacao together always remind me of that Nutella flavour, plus they are great sources of vitamin E and magnesium. Also, these brownies are sugar free - so they are a win-win for me!
- 1 cup of hazelnuts (roasted and skinned, or see how to do yourself here)
- 1/2 cup of raw cacao (add more to taste if you want a darker, richer chocolate flavour)
- 2 cups of dates
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of hazelnut butter (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
- Place the hazelnuts, cacao, salt, and coconut oil in the food processor and mix until well combined and the hazelnuts are chopped finely.
- Add the dates one by one until you have a good consistency that will hold together when pressed down.
- If it's too mild add more cacao, and if it's too crumbly add some more dates.
- Press into a container and place in the fridge for an hour to harden.